Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Programs
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), one of the nation's top research universities with two campuses in Richmond, Virginia, and a campus in Education City, Qatar, invites application for a second Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Programs. The Assistant Vice Provost reports to the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs (SVPAA) and strengthens the Office of Academic Affairs in its mission to provide university-level strategic leadership and coordination of academic experiences that deliver high quality, engaged and applied learning experiences. Serving over 31,000 students, the Office of Academic Affairs supports university-wide efforts to ensure that students have a transformative educational experience.
Key opportunities and expectations for the Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Programs include:
* Responsible for academic excellence and integrity and fostering a culture of continuous improvement.
* Ensure compliance with applicable academic regulations, policies, and procedures
* Ensure that policies are up-to-date in accordance with best practice
* Provide leadership on the academic program review process
* Develop and implement policies, procedures and practices designed to ensure the effective delivery of academic programs
* Operational and strategic oversight of the academic program approval process to the schools/colleges for new and modified degree programs
* Oversee the review of existing policies and procedures related to academic affairs including the inter-institutional agreements and international agreements as needed, to meet the ongoing needs of the University
* Review and approve affiliation agreements (in collaboration with University Counsel) or liaise with University Counsel and the Office of the Vice President for Health Sciences on matters related to affiliation agreements, signature authority, policies, etc.
* Experience with integration of new academic programs and accreditation.
* Serve as liaison between the SVPAA and the chairs of a variety of university and academic affairs committees
* Work with the SVPAA on the cultivation and sustainability of innovative curriculum
* Perform other professional duties as assigned in support of the Office of the Senior vice Provost for Academic Affairs
Professional Qualifications and Personal Qualities
* Doctorate degree from an accredited university
* Research, teaching, and service portfolio at a tenurable level of accomplishment in a discipline taught at VCU is desirable
* Demonstrated exemplary leadership experience in administrative positions within a university setting (e.g., department chair, director, associate dean)
* Knowledge of upper level university/college operations
* Extensive experience in academic administration, policies, and procedures
* Ability to successfully lead and manage complex organizations in a team-oriented environment
* Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and implement innovative academic programs and transformative curriculum
* Demonstrated ability to work successfully within the university community to implement changes necessary to assess and maintain excellence in academic programs
* Ability to build and maintain strong relationships across all levels internal and external to VCU, including faculty governance
* Strong collaborator with the ability to engage and inspire others
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Passion for a high standard of excellence with continuous improvement
* Proven ability to independently make strategic decisions, generate innovative ideas and solutions, and multitask
* Proven ability to manage projects and multiple assignments with attention to detail and deadlines
* Excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills
* Knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion issues and trends in higher education
* A record of exemplary personal and professional integrity
* Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
* Experience in supervising professional staff
* Collaborative approach to decision making and problem solving
Offering over 215 degree and certificate programs, VCU is a premier urban, public research university with a genuine commitment to student success and community service.
One of just a handful of universities to receive both a "Very High Research Activity" status and a "Community Engaged" designation from the Carnegie Foundation, VCU also boasts nine programs in the U.S. News and World Report's top 10, as well as the region's top-rated medical center.
VCU's character, however, extends far beyond just our rankings. One of the most diverse campuses in the country, the unique backgrounds of our faculty, staff and students create a vibrant, supportive atmosphere both in and out of the classroom.
Likewise, the university's emphasis on discovery and innovation creates an entrepreneurial spirit on campus, embodied by our tagline, "Make it real." This mindset saw VCU awarded more than $270 million in sponsored research funding and over 150 patents in the last year alone.
At VCU, we pride ourselves on having knowledgeable, approachable faculty, who put students first. Much like our students, our faculty think` beyond disciplinary boundaries, and work together to explore ideas, create questions and seek solutions.
Finally, the lively and welcoming city of Richmond provides the ideal backdrop for VCU's academic work. Rich in culture and history, the city becomes a living laboratory, where our faculty, staff and students can tackle problems directly affecting our local communities and see the impact of their work first-hand.
About the Office of Academic Affairs
Here at VCU, we see our students as future leaders, ready to make a difference in their respective fields and communities. We encourage them to think collaboratively, to step outside the classroom (and their comfort zone) to find unique ways to solve problems and make an impact.
The job of the Office of the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, therefore, is to ensure we have the best academic programs in place, with a faculty well-supported and well-prepared to deliver them, so that our students can achieve their goals. The office is responsible for the coordination of the academic experiences of VCU students that promote high quality teaching and learning experiences and ensures the integrity, quality and transparency of academic programs. In addition to curriculum and programs of study, the office provides leadership to critical areas tied to student success, experiential learning, and the offices of global education, continuing and professional education and strategic enrollment management.
The office also serves as the university's liaison to the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia, or SCHEV, as well to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Applicants must use the eJobs portal (www.vcujobs.com) to submit a complete application package that consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. The position is open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Priority consideration given to applicants whose materials are received by Friday, March 30, 2018. If you have any questions, please contact Kathleen Blankenship at email@example.com or at 804-828-6844.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.