Associate Vice President for Financial Operations
The University of Virginia (UVA) invites nominations and applications for the position of Associate Vice President for Financial Operations (AVPFO) reporting to the Vice President for Finance. UVA has recently embarked on a journey to transform its financial operations with exceptionally performing teams, highly effective processes, and modern systems. To help lead this journey, UVA seeks a dynamic and innovative AVPFO to lead its core financial operations. Specifically, the AVPFO will
Ensure critical financial functions are carried out successfully, including but not limited to:
* Error-free payment of employee salaries, wages, and tax withholdings
* Timely and accurate interim and annual financial reporting and annual audit
* Strategic sourcing of quality goods and services at competitive prices
* Financial and tax compliance
* Highly effective internal controls, policies and procedures and financial systems
* Build and inspire a high functioning and diverse team (60+) that strives to reach University, and individual goals in an environment of mutual respect and understanding. Create and maintain a culture of change and improvement that aspires excellence.
* Where required establish, communicate, and enforce clear and consistent standards/requirements to support achievement of institutional compliance, reporting, operational, and strategic objectives.
* Provide University and school senior leadership with access to accurate and timely information for strategic decision support, as well as delegated reporting needs and responsibilities.
* With the UVAFinance leadership team, implement effective business practices and technology solutions to support financial management, data integrity, compliance, and productivity. Serve as the data steward for financial information, including the University's chart of accounts.
* Be a voice in the national conversation on financial and accounting policies and practices to keep abreast of emerging trends and technologies and best practices of top-performing organizations.
Competencies and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished leader who is forward thinking and has implemented transformative and sustained impact in complex environments. Key "Required" competencies include:
* Ascribe to highest standards of honesty, quality and integrity
* Serve as a technical expert and advisor
* Be an engaged and committed leader and community member who respects, values, and actively promotes diversity in people, opinions, experiences, and suppliers
* Develop trusted relationships, using diplomacy and conflict-resolution skills
* Think proactively and problem-solve innovatively
* Act with decisiveness and with an appropriate sense of urgency
* Listen actively, write effectively, and deliver professional presentations.
Required Qualifications Include:
* Bachelor's degree
* Ten or more years of progressive responsibilities, including managerial responsibilities, in accounting or other financial-related fields, preferably in large decentralized environments of comparable size and complexity
* Experience interacting with external and internal auditors
* Demonstrated experience in initiating and managing change in a large and complex organization.
Preferred qualifications include:
* Advanced degree in business or related field is strongly preferred
* An active CPA, CIA, CFA, or CMA license is strongly preferred
To apply, visit https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and search for Associate Vice President for Financial Operations. Complete a Staff Application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. The position will remain open until filled.
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Ashley Cochran, Academic Recruiter at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician's Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.