Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies
The University of Virginia School of Law seeks an Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies. This is a University Executive and Senior Administrative Staff position. The Assistant Dean manages the day-to-day operations of the Law School's Graduate Studies Program, which is geared primarily toward international students who have completed the first degree in law. The program consists of approximately 50 LL.M. and 15 S.J.D. students, plus a small number of visiting scholars.
The primary responsibilities of the Assistant Dean are to manage the operations of the Graduate Studies Office, manage the graduate admissions and recruiting process, and serve as a liaison between graduate students and other Law School and University personnel and departments. Specific duties include:
* marketing the program to prospective students and maintaining the program's web page;
* reviewing applicant files and making recommendations for admissions and financial aid;
* responding to questions from prospective students and applicants;
* managing graduate student orientation and other programming;
* advising graduate students in various areas, such as course selection and eligibility for bar admission;
* supporting the Career Development Office in providing employment counseling to graduate students;
* coordinating alumni relations and communications in collaboration with the Law School Foundation and the Law School's Communications Office; and
* serving as a general resource for graduate students at the Law School.
The Assistant Dean reports to the Law School's Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and works closely with the Director of the Graduate Studies Program, who is a tenured member of the Law School faculty. The Assistant Dean supervises an administrative assistant.
An advanced degree is required; a J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school is preferred. At least four years of work experience is required. Experience in higher education, particularly in admissions, student services, or international student and scholar services, is a plus. The candidate must have excellent leadership, organizational, and communication skills; a pleasant and outgoing demeanor; the ability to work diligently in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment; and proficiency with standard office software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel). International travel is expected.
The selected candidate will be required to successfully complete a background check before their first day of employment, per University policy.
***Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.***
***Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS:
Please apply through your Workday Home page, search "Find Jobs", and search for "Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies or requisition R0009680". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS:
Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for requisition R0009680, complete the application and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
For questions about the application process, please contact Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor, email@example.com.