Executive Director of University Communications
Built on a foundation of academic breadth, depth, and rigor and lasting relationships, Denison University unlocks the potential of our students to be architects of their own lives. We create pathways for our students to quickly make friends and find mentors. We help them figure out what kind of lives they want to lead, and we help them develop the skills, values, habits, networks, and experiences to launch into professions so they can build those lives. As Denison continues to build upon its strengths, our focus is on deepening mentorship; expanding the liberal arts curriculum; reinventing the career exploration process; and leveraging our close proximity to Columbus, one of the nation's best cities for the arts, internships, and entrepreneurship.
Primary Responsibilities and Key Areas of Focus
Denison University invites applications for the position of Executive Director of University Communications. Reporting directly to the Office of the President, the Executive Director supports the work of the senior leadership team and various internal and external constituencies. The Executive Director enhances the Denison brand and uses marketing and communications skills to promote the value of the University to key external audiences, including prospective students and their families, current parents, alumni, and donors. The Executive Director supervises a highly qualified team that has a strong background on a variety of platforms (print, digital, and video); manages a budget and hires external consultants and freelancers who meet the needs of the office and University. The successful candidate must have a track record of executing a strategic direction, be able to understand and articulate Denison's distinctive liberal arts experience, and have experience in crisis management.
Qualities of the Executive Director:
* Hands-on, hard-working, proactive, results-oriented leadership; someone who leads by action, example and impact; has the outstanding ability to influence and motivate others; recruits outstanding colleagues and empowers them, and holds them accountable for results; someone who is energized by achievement.
* Demonstrated digital acumen; passionate about telling stories that highlight the Denison narrative (innovative curriculum, faculty-student mentorship, vibrant campus life, student outcomes, and proximity to the Greater Columbus area) that can be promoted on various print and electronic platforms.
* Requires a mix of interpersonal-relational, project management, and communications skills, in addition to the understanding of brand management, marketing principles, market research, and analytics.
* Capacity to take strategic action, combined with the ability to act creatively and opportunistically to put strategy in action.
* Ability and demonstrated willingness to harness innovative resources to tell stories in new ways and experience with digital channel management and storytelling.
* Precision and facility with language, as well as the excellent judgment needed for effective high-stakes communications.
* Communication skills and confidence to speak up, defend decisions, and the self-awareness to do so professionally.
* Ability to work collaboratively within a diverse community with multiple constituencies, to build cooperation and consensus.
* Consulting skills, including the ability to receive and give feedback to senior leadership.
The next Executive Director will be expected to:
Support the senior leadership team and various internal and external constituencies by enhancing the Denison brand and using marketing and communications skills to promote the value of the University to key external audiences, including prospective students and their families, current parents, alumni, and donors. Supervise a highly qualified team that has a strong background on a variety of platforms (print, digital, and video), manage budgets, and hire external consultants and freelancers who meet the needs of the office and University.
Bachelor's degree and minimum 7 years of work experience in brand management, marketing, market research, analytics or comparable field. Sound knowledge of research and analytics, marketing communications, and the importance of brand.
For additional information and to apply, please visit employment.denison.edu. Applications received by February 14, 2019 will be assured full consideration. Position open until filled.
Granville, Ohio and Greater Columbus Area:
Denison University is an academically rigorous liberal arts college with an increasingly diverse campus community. It offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Denison is located in the village of Granville, 30 minutes from Columbus, Ohio, the state capitol, which hosts a wide range of cultural and artistic opportunities. Granville also offers an excellent public school system and easy access to outdoor activities.
Just 25 minutes from campus by car, Columbus, the state capital of Ohio, offers one of the nation's most vibrant and technologically sophisticated cities, with access to cultural activities, great restaurants, local breweries, professional sports, shopping, and worship. Columbus is the nation's 14th largest city, with a diverse population of more than two million people. Home to some of the largest companies in the world, including L Brands, Abercrombie & Fitch, Wendy's, Cardinal Health, and Nationwide Insurance, Columbus attracts top national and international talent.
To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or socio-economic background. For additional information and resources about diversity at Denison, please see our Diversity Guide. Denison University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.