Academic Advisor - Military Advisor
Department: Office of Veteran and Military Education
Locations: Fort Drum, NY
About Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 84,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,500 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Veteran and Military Education (OVME) seeks a full-time Military Advisor (State Title: Academic Advisor) to support the college's Fort Drum on-post location under the supervision of the Fort Drum Site Coordinator.
The incumbent will have a broad range of responsibilities throughout the student lifecycle, which span from outreach to graduation.
These responsibilities include:
* Compliance with Fort Drum MOU requirements
* One-to-one mentoring of both matriculated and non-matriculated students
* Course instruction related to individualized degree planning
* Outreach and pre-enrollment advising
* Communicate with prospective students on-post, as well as via phone and email
* Conduct outreach events such as open houses and workshops, and participate in the development and maintenance of community and corporate partnerships
* A Master's degree from an accredited university
* A minimum of two-years' experience working in higher education in teaching, advising, or related areas
* An understanding of the military lifestyle
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* A demonstrated ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative environment
* Strong administrative, organizational and computer skills
* In-depth knowledge of military specific programs including GoArmyEd, DOD MOU, ACE, VA benefits, tuition assistance and promotion board requirements
* VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
* Travel within New York State with specific emphasis in the North Country is required
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800.
IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security.
Posting Link: https://esc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=100730#
Apply for This Job Online at