Each of the 10 college-wide Academic Divisions has an Academic Dean assigned. The Academic Deans report to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs. Deans lead by coordination and collaboration, working closely as a Deans' Cabinet to ensure common practices and procedures. The primary responsibilities of the deans are to support the academic mission and purposes of the College
and to serve as academic leaders. The Academic Deans supervise departments, faculty and staff in college-wide divisions. Successful candidate work under a collective bargaining agreement and will supervise employees working under collective bargaining agreements. The employee is expected to work in a multi-cultural, diverse working environment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Understanding of and commitment to the comprehensive community college mission
- Ability to lead for change
- Ability to foster student-centered environments
- Ability to promote effective teaching and learning based on knowledge of contemporary methods of instructional delivery and curriculum development
- Ability to work with technical, developmental and transfer programs
- Ability to promote uses of technology for instructional delivery and distance learning
- Experience in planning and budgeting
- Understanding of collective bargaining and contract maintenance
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
EDUCATION: Master's degree in a discipline within the Division; or Ph.D. preferred in a discipline within the Division.
EXPERIENCE: At least two years full-time teaching experience/full-time faculty experience at a community college and/or lower division of a four-year college or university and at least two years of academic administration experience. In lieu of full-time teaching experience/full-time faculty experience, demonstrated experience in the following areas: minimum two years teaching experience (part-time teaching equated), assessment of student learning, participatory governance, curriculum review and curriculum development and at least two years academic administration experience. A combined total of six or more years of full-time teaching/full-time faculty experience and academic administration, preferably in a community college. Administrative work may include department chair experience.