AVP-Asst General Counsel - 001 - Full-Time,Day - Navistar - Lisle,IL
Under the direction of a Vice President, Senior Associate General Counsel, the Assistant Vice President, Associate General Counsel is responsible for supporting the AMITA Health acute care hospitals, ambulatory services, and physician enterprise, as appropriate, interfacing with senior business partners, hospital administrators and physicians; participating in various strategic and operational initiatives on a wide variety of health care/legal issues as requested, including but not limited to working with hospital administration on Medical Staff governance, bylaws, credentialing and peer review matters; hospital board governance; compliance investigations and audits; risk management patient care and related legal issues; hospital licensure, provide support for Joint Commission and Illinois Department of Public Health surveys; review and advise on accreditation; analyze legal and factual issues while conducting legal research to resolve common operational concerns; respond to medical staff questions/issues; and other tasks as assigned.
Why Join AMITA?
AMITA Health (www.AMITAhealth.org) is a joint operating company formed by the Adventist Health System in Altamonte Springs, FL and St. Louis, MO based Ascension.
AMITA Health is the largest health system in Illinois, comprising 19 hospitals and more than 230 sites of care. The health system has 900 providers in its medical groups, more than 26,000 associates and 7,000 physician partners and serves over 4.3 million residents in the greater Chicagoland area.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with AMITA Health, you will have the opportunity to render legal advice.
- Develops the strategic and legal goals and objectives for the area and reviews them on a regular basis.
- Develops legal services policies. Evaluates cost effectiveness of legal services and recommends strategies to improve same. Develops and manages the legal budget.
- Advises and assists in the coordination on legal matters.
- Oversees and coordinates the formulation and finalization of contracts and ensures the organization is in compliance with applicable regulations. Keeps current with legal developments affecting the organization.
- Understanding of Stark and Anti-kickback rules, regulations and enforcement actions;
- solid understanding of hospital operations related to medical staff governance, bylaws, peer review, hearings and appeals;
- risk management patient care and related issues;
- excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a proficiency in legal research;
- strong contract negotiation and drafting skills;
- effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact comfortably with all levels of senior management and physicians;
- ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines while handling multiple requests for services;
- accomplish assignments without supervision;
- high level of discretion and strong collaboration skills; and
- understands client focus and the urgency related to client satisfaction.
What You Will Need
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school with superior academic credentials required (preferably with a focus in healthcare law)
- Work Experience:
- Three or more years of experience in healthcare law matters required.
- Preferred: 7+ years of experience as a licensed, practicing attorney with experience working in a law firm or in-house legal department, or combination thereof (prior healthcare experience required) or equivalent experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AMITA Health will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.