Requisition ID: 62513
Location: Presence St Mary Kankakee
500 West Court Street, Kankakee, IL 60901-3661 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 40
Employment Status: Full-time
Employment Type: Regular
The Director of Surgical Services, provides strategic leadership for surgical services with a primary focus on business development and growth of volume and revenue. Assures leadership in organizing and administering the service line by ensuring that services are developed, provided, supported, monitored and financially successful.
Position responsibilities include the organization of the service line within the core values of Presence Health with a focus on customer service, physician relations, quality improvement, analysis of data and program development for the effective organization of services provided to a specific patient population served in the following areas: Surgery, Recovery Room, Anesthesiology, Ambulatory Surgery, Gastroenterology and Pain Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops a future course for Surgical Services that is aligned with the organizational vision. Translates the course into goals and objectives for own team, sets priorities and directs the efforts of staff toward accomplishing those goals and objectives. Analyzes market strengths/weaknesses of current program and identifies opportunities for business development and growth, service improvements and improved financial performance. Integrates Chairman, Department of Surgery and Chairman, Department of Anesthesiology and other supportive physicians into planning and management of surgical services.
- Creates and implements plans to increase patient volume through multiple strategies including physician recruitment and retention, assessment and adjustment of block schedules, monitoring of first case delays, staffing assessment and adjustment, physician education and marketing. Provides surgeons with appropriate access to the operating room and G.I. lab, maximizing efficiency of OR and G.I. lab utilization through management of all processes including access to supplies, equipment and staff.
- Applies key financial concepts and analysis to decision making. Understands drivers of financial performance (e.g., physician referrals, capacity utilization, payment denials) and takes these into account in developing strategies and making decisions. Develops and submits for approval, department operating budget and ensures that department operates within the budget. In collaboration with Chairman, Department of Surgery, develops and prioritizes capital budget requests. Develops strategies to achieve goals for cost management and develops financial indicators to monitor progress for review and analysis of financial performance.
- Sets and maintains high standards for service to patient, physicians, and other hospital departments. Incorporates needs and concerns of diverse constituencies into decision making. Measures patient and physician satisfaction and develops and implements plans to improve satisfaction.
- Supports the continuous quality improvement process by maintaining quality improvement standards, including periodic review of patient records and care plans. Insures patient safety and highest quality of care through development and adherence to patient safety standards. Understands, articulates and ensures compliance with the National Quality Forum Patient Safety Practices as well as patient safety practices that may be mandated by any regulatory agency. Insures that the operation of the department complies with the standards established by Illinois Department of Public Health, Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Coordinates the preparation for inspections, conducts mock inspections, and insures appropriate records are maintained. Responsible for adherence to department safety, environment and infection control standards.
- Determines staffing requirements. Selects and attracts outstanding staff from diverse backgrounds. Identifies and fills gaps in team skills and knowledge. Defines development objectives for staff that support performance goals and progress toward future skill development. Trains, orients and assigns department staff (either directly or through subordinates). Ensures that staff meets all educational and clinical requirements as defined by federal law. Assists staff in developing their own careers by encouraging them to articulate their career goals, offering challenging growth opportunities, and providing necessary coaching and training. Collaborates with others responsible for organization wide education to assure that learning needs are identified and addressed.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Directly supervises employee(s). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in Clinical and/or Healthcare/Business related field, or equivalent combination of education and training. Minimum seven years of experience in progressive career advancement in acute care nursing, demonstrated success in a management position.
Post Graduate degree preferred.
Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Registered Nurse with a current Illinois License required. Specialty Certification in Surgical Services and membership in Association of perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN).
Business Unit: Presence St Mary Hosp Kankakee
Job Function: Nursing
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability