Requisition ID: 39484
Location: Presence St Joseph Med Joliet
333 Madison Street, Joliet, IL 60435-8200 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 40
Employment Status: Full-time
Employment Type: Regular
Presence St. Joseph Medical Center's Emergency Department is designated as an IDPH Level 2 Trauma Center, Emergency Medical Services for Children Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP), Accredited Chest Pain Center and anticipates designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Center in 2018. We see nearly 60,000 patients annually in our 52 bed Adult and Pediatric treatment rooms.
The Clinical Practice Specialist (CPS) is a Registered Profession Nurse (RN) who practices within the scope of the Illinois Nurse Practice Act to ensure the delivery of comprehensive, high quality, individualized nursing care based upon knowledge and experience, the nursing process and leadership skills. The registered nurse in this role serves as specialty area expert to the nursing staff, patients, families and operational team who work in various clinical settings. The CPS is responsible and accountable for clinical nursing standards of practice, education, research and professional leadership activities. This role shares 24 hour accountability with other members of the interdependent leadership team for designated performance outcomes related to specific clinical service area. The CPS is a member of the hospital management team and participates in organization wide initiative as a member of nursing management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitates a high standard of patient care delivery. Ensure staff competencies, practice patterns, and care coordination processes achieve high quality patient care outcomes, and demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide age appropriate care as described in the department's policy and procedure manual. Continually develops knowledge and skills in designated service area(s), and implements strategies to disseminate new ideas to assigned staff.
- Functions as an expert clinician, role model, researcher, educator and leader for clinical staff. Mentors staff. Identifies staff strengths and opportunities for development; structures experiences for staff members' continual learning. Maintains staff training and development around skills and behaviors that foster high customer satisfaction. Serves as a resource to new staff and preceptors in the orientation process.
- Incorporates institutional goals into the performance dashboard for service area(s). Interacts with other departments, physician constituents, and staff to incorporate their input into the clinical practice and staff development goals for the service area(s)
- Utilizes tools, auditing processes, educational programs, and decision making bodies to ensure a continuous state of regulatory and accreditation readiness. Interprets the impact and urgency of ongoing accreditation and regulatory requirements to the operations of designated service area(s).
- Utilizes data, processes, tools, and communication vehicles to support outcome monitoring. Takes action to continually improve the effectiveness of clinical practice and patient care interventions.
- Provides oversight of care coordination activities, including development of skills and process to support proactive management of care delivery.
- Meets with physician admitters to designated service area(s) to ensure participation in the planning and day-to-day decision related to the delivery of care.
- Cultivates staff clinical expertise and professional behavior consistent with interdependent teamwork. Assists the staff in adapting to changes in the work environment and managing competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Maintains a viable network of industry contacts to keep current with new clinical practice innovations. Participates in organized professional activities, and applies new knowledge to administering areas of responsibility.
- Facilitates problem solving and provides effective interventions to achieve clinical, productivity, and satisfaction goals.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality and safety. Applies feedback to improve performance.
- Develops evidenced based policies, procedures, practice standards, quality improvements, and programs based on research standards and identified opportunity. Utilizes current research such as American Nurses Association (ANA) and specialty based standards such as Emergency Nurses Association, Association of Women's' Health, Obstetrics and Neonatal Nurses, etc.
- Provides specialty based staff education; maintains staff competencies; creates instructional materials to support instructional design.
- Leads within shared governance structure; develops staff leadership skills; identifies potential opportunities for staff to participate in structured leadership activities
- Leads and participates in all aspects of large scale quality/process improvement projects including strategic planning, implementation, and outcomes monitoring
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Directly supervises employee(s). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Master's degree in Nursing required. Minimum of 3 years progressive clinical experience required. Training, development of staff, preceptor experience preferred.
Basic computer skills required
Proficiency in Microsoft word, excel and power point preferred
Experience with electronic medical records and EPIC preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Registered Nurse with a current Illinois License required. Certifications as Clinical Nurse Specialist or Advanced Practice Nurse preferred. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required. Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) etc. are unit specific required certifications.
Certification in area of specialty is preferred.
Business Unit: Presence St Joseph MC Joliet
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability