Requisition ID: 62205
Location: Presence St Francis Hosp
355 Ridge Avenue, Evanston, IL 60202 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 0
Employment Status: PRN / Registry
Employment Type: Regular
Provides strategic leadership for surgical services with a primary focus on business development and growth of volume and revenue. Provides leadership in organizing and administering the service line by ensuring, that services are developed, provided, supported, monitored and financially successful.
Key responsibilities include the organization of the service line within the core values of the hospital with a focus on customer service, physician relations, quality improvement, analysis of data and program development for the effective organization of services provided to a specific patient population served in the following areas: Surgery, Recovery Room, Anesthesiology, Ambulatory Surgery and Gastroenterology.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Service line strategic planning and decision making: In collaboration with Chairman, Department of Surgery develops a future course for Surgical Services that is aligned with the organizational vision. Translates the course into goals and objectives for own team, sets priorities and directs the efforts of staff toward accomplishing those goals and objectives. Analyzes market strengths/weaknesses of current program and identifies opportunities for business development and growth, service improvements and improved financial performance. Integrates Chairman, Department of Surgery and Chairman, Department of Anesthesiology and other supportive physicians into planning and management of surgical services.
2. Business Growth: Creates and implements plans to increase patient volume through multiple strategies including physician recruitment and retention, assessment and adjustment of block schedules, monitoring of first case delays, staffing assessment and adjustment, physician education and marketing. Provides surgeons with appropriate access to the operating room and G.I. lab, maximizing efficiency of OR and G.I. lab utilization through management of all processes including access to supplies, equipment and staff.
3. Financial Acumen: Applies key financial concepts and analysis to decision making. Understands drivers of financial performance (e.g., physician referrals, capacity utilization, payment denials) and takes these into account in developing strategies and making decisions. Develops and submits for approval, department operating budget and ensures that department operates within the budget. In collaboration with Chairman, Department of Surgery, develops and prioritizes capital budget requests. Develops strategies to achieve goals for cost management and develops financial indicators to monitor progress for review and analysis of financial performance.
4. Service Orientation and Customer Focus: Sets and maintains high standards for service to patient, physicians, and other hospital departments. Incorporates needs and concerns of diverse constituencies into decision making. Measures patient and physician satisfaction and develops and implements plans to improve satisfaction.
5. Accountability: Ensures the development of the standards of performance, evaluation of performance, and initiates or makes recommendation for personnel action. Holds team and self responsible for maintaining the highest possible performance standards and meeting agreed upon commitments even under difficult circumstances.
6. Managing Relationships: Provides regular updates on program or project progress and works with CEO to minimize risks and resolve problems. With Chairman, Department of Surgery, and Chairman, and Department of Medicine, works to achieve and maintain appropriate communication among facility physicians regarding hospital activities (marketing, contracting, screenings, etc) as well as overall service line performance. Uses objective measures to assess employee satisfaction and leads collaborative efforts with team to enhance employee satisfaction.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- 7+ years progressive career advancement in acute care nursing, demonstrated success in a management position.
- Participatory leadership style.
- Working knowledge of accreditation, safety, quality improvement and project management.
- Bachelor's degree required. Post-graduate degree preferred. Degrees in clinical and/or related healthcare/business related field required.
Proficient with Windows-style applications and keyboard.
Computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Specialty certification in Surgical Services and membership in AORN encouraged. Registered Nurse with current Illinois License.
Business Unit: Presence St Francis Hospital
Department Name: Surgery SFH
Job Function: Nursing