Requisition ID: 66212
Ministry: Presence St Joseph Hsp Chicago
Location: Presence St Joseph Chicago
2900 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60657 United States (US)
Department: 20800125 Obstetrics Gyne Unit SJH
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 20
Employment Status: Part-time
Employment Type: Regular
The Unit Secretary/Registrar is responsible for performing general receptionist, secretarial and clerical duties on the assigned unit, and the registration for all patients entering the unit through inpatient, outpatient, or the emergency department. Secures signatures, explains forms, completes required information in billing screen accurately, and answers patient questions. Maintains a high level of billing data quality. Demonstrates a welcoming and friendly attitude to all customers including patients, families, visitors, staff and physicians. The Unit Secretary/Registrar facilitates the smooth, efficient operation of the unit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interacts professionally and communicates clearly with patients, visitors and the Health Care Team demonstrating a positive and helpful demeanor and promotes and enhances unit teamwork
- Welcomes patients and greets visitors to the unit, offering information and help to all guests
- Answers all phone calls promptly and requests for pages are responded to in a timely manner
- Promotes a safe environment by addressing patients' needs in a timely manner and follows through with the appropriate staff to ensure that each patient's needs have been met
2. Manages information flow among the Health care team, ancillary departments, the patient and guest while providing excellent customer service.
- Coordinates and manages facility activities to promote a clean, organized and safe environment
- Demonstrates follow-through on assigned responsibilities and in spontaneous problem solving
- Facilitates interaction between the Health Care Team.
- Updates patient boards in patient's room upon admission
- Places work repairs, EVS, Biomed and Information Service requests with follow through
3. Identifies and reports deviation from safety. Adheres to guidelines of electrical safety, infection control, and accreditation readiness activities.
4. Manages the information in the patient's medical record: assembles, disassembles, correctly files, labels, and updates information in the medical record (thin and electronic charts).
- Maintains thin chart with consistent labeling during patient's admission and complete labeling upon discharge
- Review EPIC work queues and revenue usage reports as indicated
- Carry out requests for consultations, supplies and equipment orders
5. Ensures the timely ordering of unit supplies. Receives and assists with proper storage of unit supplies by sorting, assembling and distributing supplies.
- Checks, orders, receives, and assists with proper storage of supplies, forms, linen, and equipment in a timely manner
- Order/maintain office supplies as indicated
- Distributes supplies to PPE Boxes/closets and maintains organization
- Maintains organization of supply rooms
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Adheres to downtime procedures.
- Adheres to established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Performs both essential and non-essential job functions in a safe manner as identified by Presence Health.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and models the mission and core values of Presence Health through behavior and attitude.
- Enhances professional growth and development by accessing educational programs, job related literature, in-service meetings, and workshops/seminars.
Education and/or Experience
- High school or equivalent
- Prior experience as a Unit Secretary or Medical Assistant training preferred.
- Able to comprehend medical terminology. Ability to apply medical knowledge procedure and understand and act on technical information from supervisors, charts, reference books, procedural manual, etc.
- Able to communicate effectively using written and verbal English, bilingual skills preferred.
- Able to cope maturely with the day-to-day stress of coordinating the various complex activities of a patient care unit. Demonstrates ability to function in emergency situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software.
Business Unit: Presence St Joseph Hsp Chicago
Department Name: Obstetrics Gyne Unit SJH
Job Function: Support Services