Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland's Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers into companies. These employers are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland's Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is free for job seekers. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills' Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. As you move through the hiring process, Skills is your advocate with the hiring company.
Hiring Company: United Airlines
Join United as we develop the world's leading airline. We are committed to not only meeting customer expectations, but exceeding them. We are currently in search of individuals with this same commitment who take pride in seeing a job done right and done well. The Ramp Service Employee (RSE) is responsible for processing baggage, boxes, and/or cargo between baggage/cargo areas in the airport facilities and aircraft, as well as receiving and dispatching aircraft. We pride ourselves in being an on-time airline and are seeking dedicated individuals that understand a deadline-driven environment while maintaining high quality standards of operational safety and customer service.
Ramp Service Agents operate at O'Hare Airport in Chicago.
- Lift baggage, boxes, or cargo weighing up to 70 lb when loading/unloading aircraft, carts, and containers
- Loading/unloading may require lifting over 100 items for a single aircraft
- Push/pull loaded and empty carts and containers during loading/unloading operations
- Couple/uncouple carts and/or cargo container dollies
- Ascend/descend jetway stairs while carrying baggage
- Bend/stoop and crawl to move and stack/unstack cargo in aircraft and containers
- Stand for up to 4 hours in all weather conditions to upload or unload cargo and direct traffic
- Walk continuously to load/ unload cargo from pallets, containers, carts, or conveyor belts
- Complete safety checklists for motorized equipment
- Drive and operate motorized equipment (e.g., conveyor belt)
- Read and interpret aircraft load sheets, checked baggage tags, and cargo labels
- Operate a computer to enter and retrieve data
- Count baggage/cargo being uploaded/ unloaded during operations
- Operate portable radio or headphones
- Connect hoses to aircraft
- Use signaling devices to communicate with co-workers or flight crew
- Ensure compliance with United and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and policies
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years' old
- Must possess a valid state issued driver's license
- Acceptable driving record required
- Must pass a background check
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain credentials necessary for the position. Position-specific clearances include but are not limited to FAA, TSA, Port Authority, U.S. Customs and U.S. Postal Service clearances
- Must be able to pass a pre-placement physical abilities test, hearing and vision tests, and drug screen
- Must be able to work during day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays; mandatory overtime may be required based on operational need
- Must be able to work outdoors in all temperatures and weather conditions
- Must be willing to work where there will be exposure to high noise levels
- Must NOT have lived outside of the United States in the past 5 years for any period longer than six months, with the exception of military duty or government-approved exceptions
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualifications
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
This role requires flexible working schedules and the ability to work all shifts and days of the week.
Compensation and benefits commensurate with experience.
- High School Diploma, GED or education equivalent required
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently
- Must be willing and able to lift up to 70 lbs.
- Must be willing and able to perform a variety of physical activities including bending, stooping, climbing and working in tight spaces
- Experience working on the ramp within the airline industry a plus
- Previous work in jobs requiring heavy lifting and safety awareness preferred