Requisition ID: 65098
Ministry: Presence St Joseph Hsp Chicago
Location: Presence St Joseph Chicago
2900 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60657 United States (US)
Department: 20595160 Pharmacy SJH
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 40
Employment Status: Full-time
Employment Type: Regular
Responsible for coordinating and directing the day to day services, functions, operations, and activities of the Pharmacy Department in accordance with administrative policies, applicable national standards, and state and federal laws.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises the daily work activities of the pharmacy staff.
- Assists in interviewing, hiring, training, and evaluating employees.
- Recommends promotion, disciplinary action, and/or discharge of supervised employees.
- Assist with annual evaluations of the pharmacy staff.
- Establishes work schedules for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.
- Assist with the development, assessment and implementation of operational pharmacy initiatives. When needed, performs daily operational pharmacy functions (i.e. order entry, order verification, medication preparation/distribution, etc.)
- Assists/encourages staff development through in-services and continuing education programs.
- Directs the pharmacy dispensing functions and monitors checking of stock as needed.
- Works closely with other departments as a liaison for pharmacy services.
- Assist in operationalizing the clinical activities of the pharmacy department.
- Is "on call" 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, to cover emergency situations at the Pharmacy. The Pharmacy Operations Manager may rotate "on call" duty with other qualified staff.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of all aspects of Meditech/Epic as appropriate.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Pyxis drug distribution system. Helps in the proper maintenance of the drug distribution system. Assists with planning and controlling the overall process and assist with any future expansion plans.
- Assists with in-services and competency examinations annually.
- Helps coordinate and implement an effective orientation program for new personnel.
- Assists with serving as an advisor to physicians, nursing and dietary staff and/or other Ministry personnel regarding pharmaceutical products, medication preparation, parenteral and enteral feedings and administration of medications.
- Complies with all legal and professional regulations
- Responsible for proper accountability and storage of narcotics and scheduled/controlled substances as required by federal and state law.
- Responsible for overseeing all departmental equipment for maintenance and functionality.
- Maintains department records and files, archiving as necessary in accordance with approved guidelines.
- Assists in overseeing the purchasing of pharmaceuticals and other applicable supplies from approved vendors.
- Assists in maintaining effective inventory/formulary control. Supervises the maintenance of appropriate par levels/expiration dates of pharmaceuticals in stock.
- Assists the Regional Director of Pharmacy in planning budgets, determining staffing needs and writing policies and procedures.
- Maintains good working knowledge of formulary maintenance and monitors charging/billing system for accuracy or other issues.
- Actively participates in continuous quality improvement initiatives and projects.
- Prepares reports for Performance Improvement studies, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, departmental workload, and other statistics as assigned.
- Demonstrates commitment to the Service Promises in the performance of their job.
- Assumes the responsibilities of the Regional Director of Pharmacy Services in his/her absence if necessary.
- Understands, articulates, and ensures compliance with patient safety practices that may be mandated by any organization or regulatory agency.
- Represents department on selected committees and task forces.
- Maintains records of Pharmacist CE credits.
- Maintains yearly competencies of pharmacy personnel.
- Participates and assists in educational programs for staff. Maintains records of all programs/in-services conducted by the pharmacy department.
- Adheres to established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Performs both essential and non-essential job functions in a safe manner as it pertains to the given ministry or Presence System.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and models the mission and core values as stated in Presence Health Service Promises.
- Enhances professional growth and development by attending educational programs, job related literature, in-service meetings, and workshops/seminars.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong attention to detail
Excellent written, oral, interpersonal communication skills
Education and/or Experience
Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited Pharmacy School preferred
3+ years of hospital pharmacy experience required
Previous Operations Manager experience preferred
Proficient with Microsoft Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook) required
Knowledge of CPOE platforms (EPIC and/or Meditech) preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current Illinois State Board of Pharmacy License in good standing, including the continuing education requirement of 30 hours every 2 years required
Business Unit: Presence St Joseph Hsp Chicago
Job Function: Pharmacy
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability