Requisition ID: 44008
Location: Presence St Mary Chicago
2233 West Division Street, Chicago, IL 60622 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 24
Employment Status: Part-time
Employment Type: Regular
The Mental Health Counselor and Registry Mental Health Counselor assists in providing holistic patient care to psychiatric patients under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN). Contributes to the accomplishment of improved customer satisfaction; patients, evaluations, treatment, physicians, employee, quality of care and cost effectiveness; provides individual and group education. The Mental Health Counselor and Registry Mental Health Counselor participates in the assessment, planning, goal attainment, implementation and evaluation of care for patients in the Department of Psychiatry, Behavioral Health Unit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Weights and dietary intake. Records information on a graphic sheet or in the medical record, according to department procedure.
- Assesses and intervenes to maintain a therapeutic milieu. Monitors patient condition and response to treatment and reports changes to Registered Nurse (RN)/Medical Doctor (MD) to assure optimal patient outcomes. Offers psychiatric interventions based on assessed needs for patients with behavior related psychotic states, major depression, mood disorders, personality disorders, substance abuse, anxiety and dementia.
- Participates in the development and implementation of therapeutic groups based on assessed needs of patient population.
- Supports basic patient care and treatments that do not require licensure or advance training such as: basic Activities of Daily Living, ambulation per orders, assistance with complex care, vital signs and patient monitoring. Performs technical procedures as needed and required by the team or patients assignment.
- Monitors patients with special precautions, i.e. fall precautions, elopement, suicide precautions, seizure and other types of monitoring. Performs patient rounds to assess status of patients and overall safety of the unit.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all task and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate's degree required.
Minimum one year of experience in inpatient psychiatric required.
Experience working with children, adolescents, adults and their families/significant others in Mental Health or Substance Abuse treatment field.
Experience in treatment and discharge planning; developing and conducting educational groups.
Bachelor's degree in psychology/counseling, social work, other related area/or equivalent experience preferred.
Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word and Excel).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Basic Life Support (BLS) and Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) certification required within 60 days of employment (per unit specific). Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification per department requirement.
Business Unit: Presence St Mary Hosp SMEMC
Department Name: Psychiatric Unit 16Th Floor