Requisition ID: 42171
Location: Presence St Mary Chicago
2233 West Division Street, Chicago, IL 60622 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 10
Standard Hours: 40
Employment Status: Full-time
Employment Type: Regular
The Gastroenterology (GI) Technician, after sufficient orientation and training, assists the physician while performing Endoscopic Procedures and provides appropriate care, pre and post procedure, under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse(RN). Performs appropriate care of expensive and delicate instrumentation and processes it carefully and in accordance with procedure and manufacturer's standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements the individual patient plan of care under the direction of the RN. Assists physicians with patient care.
- Uses appropriate body alignment and safety measures for patients and self while transferring and repositioning.
- Observes and immediately reports unusual symptoms, changes in condition and/or injuries to the patient's nurse.
- Cleans and appropriately disinfects and sterilizes endoscopic equipment according to policy and manufacturer's recommendations. Monitors the sterilization/disinfection processes for complete and accurate record keeping.
- Assists with preparing, collecting, and labeling specimens for biopsy, cytology, cultures, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Experience working as a Certified Nursing Assistant, Medical Technologist, Medical Assistant, or EMT/ Paramedic (including Military trained Medic) required.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Applicable EMT-B, EMT-P Certification or Certification as a Nursing Assistant required.
Business Unit: Presence St Mary Hosp SMEMC
Department Name: Gastroenterology SMEMC