Requisition ID: 41641
Location: Presence St Mary Chicago
2233 West Division Street, Chicago, IL 60622 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 10
Standard Hours: 40
Employment Status: Full-time
Employment Type: Regular
The Clinical Specialist is a pharmacist who is specialized in a particular area of pharmacy practice such as automation, pharmacy information systems, specific disease state management or specialized drug therapy. The Clinical Specialist will monitor their area of specialty with a goal of cost optimization with positive patient outcomes as a focus. This will be accomplished through interdisciplinary collaboration with physicians, nurses, and other allied health professionals to ensure adequate patient care, positive patient outcomes, reduction in morbidity and mortality and management of drug costs. He/she will also attend interdisciplinary meetings and be a consultant both to other disciplines and patients on a regular basis. The clinical specialist is expected to spend time involved in their specialized area of practice in addition to the distribution of medications to patient care areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Clinical Responsibilities
- Prospectively evaluate all drug therapy for appropriate indication, dose, drug interactions, drug allergies, and monitor patient's pharmacotherapeutic regimen for effectiveness and adverse drug reactions (ADRs).
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams on relevant area of expertise.
- Target drug monitoring based on assigned specialty.
- Document all patient care activities/interventions into RHC clinical system and pharmacist intervention database.
- Answer drug/ other information inquiries using appropriate references and follow up on all problems in a timely manner.
- Assist other clinicians in discussions with patients and family members to help make informed decisions regarding treatment options.
B. Assists in Development of Policies, Procedures, and Educational Programs
- Serve as a resource person for drug therapy/information systems to staff pharmacists and other healthcare providers and maintain current knowledge on all issues pertaining to area of specialty.
- Delivers in-services as assigned.
- Participates in staff enrichment programs.
C. Performance Improvement / Quality Assurance
- Attends interdisciplinary meetings as needed.
- Contributes to Pharmacy and Therapeutic and Nursing Newsletters on issues related to area of expertise.
- Participates with other staff members to gather data for medication utilization evaluation (MUE) studies and other audits.
- Participates in hospital committees such as Pharmacy & Therapeutics as directed.
D. Order Processing
- Accurately transcribes, processes, and fills all medication orders in a timely manner.
- Compounds prescription orders accurately and efficiently.
- Clarifies orders with prescriber as necessary.
- Consults with nursing staff and others regarding patient specific information.
- Plans and organizes work effectively.
E. Pharmacy Areas of Importance
- Precepts students and residents when on-site.
- Contributes to the evaluation process for technicians by providing input on job performance.
- Apply concepts of Microsoft applications, information systems and generate any necessary reports and labels required for daily operations.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum of three years hospital pharmacy experiences as a registered pharmacist. Also must have proficiency in patient chart review activities, interdisciplinary collaboration, and disease state management. PharmD, residency preferred in specialty to be working in.
Proficient with Windows-style applications and keyboard.
Computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current Illinois licensure as a registered pharmacist. 30 credit hours of ACPE-certified continuing education, biannually.
Business Unit: Presence St Mary Hosp SMEMC
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability