Mgr-Pharmacy - Pharmacy Admin Support 001 - Full-Time,Day -
Why Join AMITA?
AMITA Health (www.AMITAhealth.org) is a joint operating company formed by the Adventist Health System in Altamonte Springs, FL and St. Louis, MO based Ascension.
AMITA Health is the largest health system in Illinois, comprising 19 hospitals and more than 230 sites of care. The health system has 900 providers in its medical groups, more than 26,000 associates and 7,000 physician partners and serves over 4.3 million residents in the greater Chicagoland area.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with AMITA Health, you will have the opportunity to:
Manage and develop the strategic growth of Clinical Pharmacy Services
The System Manager of Clinical Pharmacy will be responsible for the management of clinical pharmacy services within the dedicated region of AMITA Health, including coordination, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of clinical pharmacy services and initiatives. The System Manager of Clinical Pharmacy will provide leadership and coordination for the local lead clinical pharmacists to support the initiatives, objectives, and administrative policies under direction of the System Director of Clinical Pharmacy and the AMITA Health System Pharmacy Leadership Team. The successful candidate will assist with the development and execution of system-wide clinical pharmacy initiatives to promote medication safety, appropriate use of medications, formulary compliance, cost-effective practice, and improve patient outcomes. The successful candidate understands the acute and ambulatory services within the designated region and works with both the local and system pharmacy team to share resources, to utilize clinical expertise from the local ministries in the various standardized and centralized processes, and to support the development of clinical pharmacy programs and of clinical pharmacists and staff pharmacists. This individual will provide mentorship and support to the lead clinical pharmacists on implementation of system and local initiatives including, but not limited to, formulary management, medication use evaluation, policy/procedure management, pharmacy-driven protocols, medication safety/quality programs, antimicrobial stewardship, and pharmacy education programs (initiation/maintenance of pharmacy residency and student programs).
Assists the System Director with the creation and maintenance of the AMITA Health formulary system, including review of formulary addition requests to determine formulary and restriction status; continuous assessment of current drug formulary agents; coordination of clinical review processes/protocols with local pharmacy teams; and collaboration with other healthcare professionals
- Develops disease/drug therapy management programs to ensure safe, appropriate and cost-effective use of medications. Collaborate with physicians, nurses, and other key stakeholders in the inpatient/outpatient setting to design and implement new clinical services
- Establishes, coordinates, implements and monitors all aspects of clinical pharmacy activities with emphasis on therapeutic drug monitoring, clinical pathways, formulary management, pharmacoeconomics, and patient outcomes.
- Contributes to the oversight and leadership of the drug use management process through coordination of consistent implementation, communication, and standardization of clinical pharmacy services for the patient populations served. Ensures that system initiatives are successfully implemented at the local hospital level through coordination with other pharmacy leaders.
- Acts as a key system clinical pharmacy representative for system/regional multidisciplinary meetings or committees and brings key medication use issues to the attention of both system/local pharmacy leadership.
- Strives to improve the quality of care through the adherence of evidence-based guidelines/protocols, reduction/prevention of medication adverse drug events, and minimizing cost
- Identifies and evaluates opportunities for improving medication use and cost-savings that will help achieve system goals for both operational efficiency and fiscal responsibility.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for clinical pharmacy services, ensuring compliance with state/federal law, The Joint Commission, and other regulatory/best practice standards. Performs and provides oversight for quality improvement projects to promote safe medication use.
- Supports growth of pharmacy education initiatives through development of pharmacy staff, pharmacy student, and pharmacy resident education programs; assists with the educational needs for licensed providers and other healthcare professionals on safe medication use.
- Supervises and provides mentorship to lead clinical pharmacists and specialists; Acts as a resource to clinical pharmacists for implementing clinical programs, developing medication safety initiatives, and navigating administrative approval procedures; Fosters professional growth of clinical pharmacists, staff pharmacists, and pharmacy residents; acts as a mentor and assists others in developing and achieving professional goals
- Maintains expertise in generalized clinical pharmacy practice and has familiarity with current clinical guidelines and literature, clinical assessment and professional communication skills that is appropriate for oversight of clinical pharmacy service lines.
- Maintains working knowledge of ASHP residency program accreditation requirements and assists in the establishment/expansion of AMITA Health pharmacy PGY1 and PGY2 residency programs; acts as a preceptor for residency rotations and assists with proving oversight for directing/coordinating system residency programs
What You Will Need
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree or BS in Pharmacy from an accredited Pharmacy School
- IL Registered Pharmacist license or eligible to be licensed in the state of Illinois. Must obtain IL Pharmacist license within an agreed upon timeframe.
- PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency required (significant clinical pharmacy experience may be considered in lieu of residency)
- Board Certification in a specialty area governed by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (e.g. BCPS, BCACP, BCCCP, etc.)
- Pharmacy management experience at multi-hospital level preferred
- Experience as a pharmacy residency preceptor preferred; experience with oversight and/or establishment of pharmacy residency programs (PGY1 and /or PGY2) preferred
- MS in Healthcare Leadership/Healthcare Management, MBA, MHA or other advanced degree preferred
- Applicable medication or patient safety certifications preferred
- Minimum of 5 years' total experience as a Licensed Pharmacist within a Hospital or Health System with at least 3 of those years in clinical pharmacy leadership roles (such as Clinical Director, Clinical Manager/Coordinator, etc.) OR successful completion of PGY-2 Pharmacy Practice Residency in Pharmacy Administration/Management with one additional year experience in a clinical pharmacy leadership role (as described above)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong analysis skills and strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, customer service, and computer skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment required
- Ability to effectively supervise and mentor pharmacy team members
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills required
- Ability to develop and lead work teams required
Equal Employment Opportunity
AMITA Health will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.