Fermilab is America's premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermilab's Accelerator Division (AD) is seeking a Mechanical Technician II to be involved in the support of active accelerators and in the development of future high-intensity physics machines. As a member of the Mechanical Support Department, the successful candidate will work with engineers, designers, technicians, and scientists to build parts and assemblies that support beamline components for the Main Injector and Recycler Accelerators.
Under general supervision, based on relevant experience, and/or academic study, the successful candidate will provide moderately complex technical support for an area of assignment, typically an accelerator machine. The successful candidate will fabricate, set-up, operate, test, repair, and modify a variety of moderately complex mechanical equipment, vacuum systems, and devices. The successful candidate will also perform ESH&Q duties, waste disposal, and radiological surveys.
Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
Abide by all environmental, safety and health regulations.
* Fabricate, assemble, install and remove a variety of mechanical parts, sub-assemblies, support assemblies, and beamline components in the -Main Injector/Recycler machine, based on drawings, diagrams, and sketches as instructed. Assists in construction and assembly of support equipment. Prepares and tests equipment for operation.
* Generate, or assist in generating Hazard Analyses for work requiring such.
* Conduct periodic safety inspections of area of assignment. Assists with the identification, packaging, control, and disposal of radioactive waste.
* Procure and maintain inventories of small parts, supplies, materials, and equipment.
* Assist in the implementation of design of equipment and systems. Drives quality in all job aspects.
We Are Looking For
* HS Diploma and 4+ years relevant experience is required.
* Must be proficient with the safe use and show best practices in use of hand-held power tools and hand tools.
* Show proficiency in light fabrication of parts using mechanical drawings, sketches, and verbal instructions.
* Must be proficient in general assembly using mechanical drawings, sketches, and verbal instructions.
* Must be proficient in working in a Windows PC environment, and with MS Word and Excel applications.
* Ability to work independently following general or detailed verbal or written instructions is required.
* Ability to work mandatory overtime and perform shift work as needed is required.
* Forklift qualifications are preferred.
* Overhead crane qualifications and rigging experience are preferred.
* Experience with machining tools is preferred.
* Experience with high- and ultra-high vacuum systems is preferred.
* Electrical-electronic experience is preferred.
* Responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, safety and health regulations, Laboratory policies, procedures and practices pertinent to this position.
* Must have good oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
* Must show demonstrated ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
* Must show demonstrated ability to achieve team leadership responsibilities.
Relocation is not available for this position.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Heavy Lifting, Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Repetitive Motion, Visually Demandin.
* Ability to lift to 50 pounds is required.
* Ability to work at heights up to 10-feet is required.
* Ability to work on stairs, ladders, man lifts and to stand for up to 4-hours per day is required.
* Ability to work within the vicinity of vibrating equipment is required.
* Ability to work in confined spaces is required.
* Ability to work in areas of high magnetic fields.
* Occasionally work outdoors.
* Occasionally work in hot environments.
* Ability to legally operate cars and light trucks is required.
Physical Factors: High Voltage and Oxygen Deficiency Hazard
* Ability to meet Oxygen Deficiency Hazard (ODH), tunnel entry, Underground, and radiation worker requirements is required.
* Ability to work with epoxies, solvents, glues, and other chemicals is required.
Chemical Factors: Chemicals, Solvent Dust, Epoxies, Fumes, Pesticides, Welding, Combustion
Personal Protective Equipment: Eye/Face Protection, Foot Protection, Hand Protection, Hearing Protection, Respirators.
Apply online at https://jobs-us.technomedia.com/fermilab/?_3x8691S3Z2U36Kfa75b392-38e9-41c7-bb53-3381d6762362&offerid=408