Location: Presence Mercy Medical Center
1315 North Highland, Aurora, IL 60506 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 20
Employment Status: Part-time
Employment Type: Regular
The Respiratory Care Practitioner provides Respiratory Care modalities to patients as ordered by physicians, including but not limited to the administration of respiratory related medications, oxygen and humidity therapies, airway clearance therapy, invasive and non-invasive ventilation, etc., in accordance to established policy and procedure and based on accepted national standards, practices and regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administers various respiratory care modalities as ordered by physicians. Conducts pre and post modality assessment through direct contact and chart review. Performs appropriate respiratory assessment; interpretes clinical data; evaluates patient breathing effort, ventilatory pattern, and use of accessory muscles to develop plan of care based on this assessment.
- Develops, administers, evaluates, and modifies plan of care using evidence-based medicine, protocols, clinical practice guidelines and data. Performs and interpretes blood gases, analyzing invasive and non-invasive ventilation and clinical data. Assists in bedside procedures such as broncoscopy, intubation, tracheostomy, and thoracic procedures. May perform trach changes or arterial line insertions by order of a physician.
- Ensures proper selection, assembly, use, and cleaning or disposal of equipment and/or supplies used in the delivery of respiratory services in accordance with infection control practices and based on department policy. Recognizes and rectifies equipment malfunction.
- Communicates effectively with physicians and other providers regarding evaluation of need for therapy and therapeutic outcomes, including recommending alternatives to prescribed therapeutic modalities. Recognizes and responds to modality-related complications and communicates as such with team members.
- Assists with care, sterilization, and maintenance of department equipment and supplies. Maintains appropriate stock levels of supplies or communicates with appropirate personnel. Orders medication as directed. Communicates with the Supervisor/Charge RT and biomedical engineering department of malfuncting equipment. Acts as steward of resources.
- Responds timely and appropriately in emergency procedures such as airway management, resuscitation, intubation, and rapid response.
- Uses appropriate documents to describe patient care accurately and timely, and mantains departmental records such as patient cardex, productivity, and charges. Participates in shift report to effectively communicate all relevant information to upcoming shift.
- Assists in orientation of newly hired employees and students for clinical rotatation. Attends departmental meetings, inservices, and education seminars according to departmental guidelines.
- Provides patient and/or family education related to specific respiratory modality.
- Performs both essential and non-essential job functions in a safe and appropriate manner as established by Presence Heath and/or Departmental polices, procedures, diretive, quality assurance, saftey, environmental and infection control standards. Integrates patient safety principles into all aspects of care. Monitors and evaluates patient care and processes in an effort to identify opportunities to improve safety and quality of patient care.
- Acts as in-charge RT as assigned. Assesses and assigns workload appropriately to promote quality, safety, and customer service; assures coverage for upcoming shift. Facilitates or adjusts staffing based on departmental and patient needs.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Does Not Supervise Employees
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Graduate of approved Respiratory Care Program required. Six months of clinical, hospital based experience required.
Proficient in Microsoft Office software and electronic medical record experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
NBRC credentialed CRT. BLS and IL state license required. Current CPR certification.
Business Unit: Presence Mercy Medical Center
Job Function: Rehabilitation Services
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability
Nearest Major Market: Aurora
Nearest Secondary Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Medical, Rehabilitation, Engineer, Respiratory, Law, Healthcare, Engineering, Legal