Lead Academic Preceptor (Supervising College Adviser)
Campus Advising Coordination
Job #: 1909014
Full Time; Career
Starting Salary Range: $4,416.67-$5,333.34/monthly. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
UC Santa Cruz strives to embrace diversity in all its forms; it strives to be an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened & productive environment.
Under the direction of the provost, the lead academic preceptor develops, manages, and implements the college's academic advising program. The lead preceptor utilizes knowledge of relevant research and best practices in higher education to develop programs and lead advising services in the college that address the academic and developmental needs of diverse populations of undergraduates, including academic orientation, academic success, and student retention programs.
As part of a functional team within colleges advising and in collaboration with academic advising leadership in the Division of Undergraduate Education, provides direction and acts as a resource for other college preceptors and advisers in a functional area related to the mission of colleges advising, such as probationary supervision/ academic success; orientation to the university; first year advising; choosing and qualifying for a major; advising special populations; retention and graduation; peer advising and student leadership development.
Each residential college at UC Santa Cruz employs a team of academic advisers who work with students through the entirety of their undergraduate career. Colleges academic advising serves as the generalist branch of advising at UC Santa Cruz, focusing on all career-based requirements (general education, university, college requirements) and enforcing academic senate policy including academic standing, progress, and time-to-degree. Colleges Advising works collaboratively with others at the college to ensure a coordinated approach to serving students' academic, residential, and developmental needs, and works collaboratively with academic advisers in the academic departments and with other advisers on campus.
* Bachelor's degree in related area.
* Advanced knowledge of advising and counseling techniques. Ability to maintain knowledge of multiple majors, colleges, and schools. Demonstrated ability to advise undergraduate students on clarifying their educational goals and developing plans to achieve them, as gained through substantial related academic advising experience in a college or university setting.
* Demonstrated excellent communication skills, including oral, written, and public speaking.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with students, faculty, staff, and parents of diverse social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds, and an understanding of the challenges faced by diverse student populations (including but not limited to first generation students, underrepresented minority students, students with disabilities, low-income students, LGBT students, non-traditional students, veterans) in higher education.
* Ability to build thorough knowledge of department / college / school policies, procedures, and requirements, including precedents and application of policy.
Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
Position is open until filled. Initial Review Date: 09-05-2019
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site @ https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency