The Operator Technician observes, operates and makes a record ofall operating equipment and their auxiliaries as well as performs maintenance duties as needed. He trains, instructs, follows established procedures that ensure the safety of oneself and others, works independently and with other technicians, interacting with supervision in the execution of these duties. Job Responsibilities
The following is a brief description of some of the responsibilities but is not limited to for potential candidates:
- Properly relieves the watch.
- Check the operation of all equipment in your area and assists others as needed.
- Communicates effectively via verbal, written, or electronic documentation to supervision.
- Attends job-related training classes.
- Adhere to all safety rules and regulations.
- Performs Lockout / Tag out of systems and equipment in safe and professional manner.
- Perform chemical regenerations and check the results.
- Check, adjust, and perform sample checks of plant chemistry.
- Perform routine operational functions such as backwashes, etc.
- Perform maintenance as needed.
- Uses the Maximo work management system and other data entry systems.
- Perform data collection and keeps proper logs.
- Responsible for housekeeping in his areas.
- The candidate must abide by NRG's Code of Ethics, have the ability to build relationships, provide the highest level of customer service, exercise good judgment, remain flexible, communicate effectively, achieve goals that promote NRG's best interest, work effectively as a team member, and the candidate must exhibit the ability accept challenges readily in a stressful environment. Additionally, the candidate must be able to manage multiple assignments at one time.
- Be physically fit, alert and safety conscious.
- Assists in "on the job training" of other employees to gain an understanding of the power plant cycle.
- Ability to develop personal computer skills and varied applications, i.e. Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Maximo.
- Work rotating shift work, holiday and weekend work in addition to overtime.
- Read, write and speak English.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment.
- Interpret and apply instructions, specification, blueprints, and procedures.
- Ability to perform both indoor and outdoor tasks requiring continuous physical activity, sometimes of a strenuous and stressful nature.
- Ability to work in enclosed vessels or confined spaces.
- Possess the appropriate body coordination to do the following for extended periods of time: climb ladders, bending, twisting, kneeling, crawling, pulling/pushing, lifting, standing, walking, and squatting.
- Work on or around energized electrical equipment.
- Work at elevated heights including scaffolding.
- Ability to work alone in remote areas.
- Ability to work in dark areas or areas with limited lighting.
- Work in ambient temperatures ranging from very cold to very hot.
- Work in areas that may be noisy and dirty.
- Possess good hearing and vision.
- Ability to wear a respirator and other job related personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Reports directly to the Control Room Supervisor
- High School diploma or GED Equivalent
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in a power plant operation maintenance role.
- Must hold a Massachusetts Stationary Third Class Engineer's License
Additional Knowledge, Skills , and Abilities
- Associates and/or Bachelors Degree in Engineering
- A demonstrated a thorough knowledge of plant equipment and systems.
- Practical understanding of the application of supercritical conditions as applied to the power plant cycle.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand blueprints, drawings, schematics, P&ID's and instruction manuals.
GenOn is committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills. Official description on file with Human Resources. Nearest Major Market: