As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future! Job Summary:
The role of the FTR Trader is research and modelling of supply and demand fundamentals and grid congestion in nodal ISO markets. BETM participates in all nodal power markets, with a focus on congestion trading and near-term futures markets. The FTR Trader will work closely with a team of energy trading professionals from diverse backgrounds that include economics, operations research, physics, electrical engineering, public policy and business, and have the opportunity to develop highly technical expertise in the field of energy economics and trading in electricity markets. As a top trading shop in electricity markets that are very technical and dynamic, Boston Energy Trading and Marketing (BETM) is an ideal place to learn and see real world trading and energy markets in action. Role and Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate is someone with very strong quantitative and research skills, who is looking to work in a small, dynamic environment where their efforts are directly tied to commercial decisions and outcomes. The candidate should be extremely adept at communicating information and analyses transparently. They should be comfortable making hypotheses and judgments from incomplete information and learning from that experience.
The FTR Trader will build and manage models intended to predict electricity market prices and identify potential trading opportunities. Experience with Optimal Power Flow (OPF) models or electricity market simulation tools (such as Powerworld, PROMOD, UPLAN, GridView, GE MAPS, DAYZER, Plexos, Aurora etc) is helpful, but not required. The FTR Trader would ideally also be self-sufficient in accessing, managing and dissecting voluminous data on the power markets and constantly improving and calibrating our modelling efforts to real world outcomes.
Tasks/Responsibilities may include:
- Research and modelling of electricity market supply, demand and grid congestion fundamentals for daily trading and to assess longer-term trends
- Maintaining, executing and calibrating power flow optimization models
- Working with a team to implement systematic congestion analysis and valuation using tools such as optimal power flow (OPF)
- Performing general quantitative analyses and econometric studies of energy markets
- Tracking and analyzing electricity markets, and communicating efficiently regarding market conditions
- Data mining and analysis to identify commercial opportunities
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Economics or a related quantitative discipline
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in electricity markets in a consulting or commercial role
- Team-oriented and collaborative
- Must be effective working in a fast-paced team environment, and able to see projects through to completion
- Masters or PHD in Electrical Engineering, Economics, Math Physics or other quantitative discipline
- Proficiency with programming tools such as python, visual basic and SQL or other analysis supporting programming tools is strongly desired.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources Nearest Major Market: