Position Title Commons Collections Services Assistant
Provides basic support to the collections area of the Phillips Memorial Library.
1. Coordinate preparation of library material for the bindery and processing of material returned from the bindery.
2. Assist with processing and handling of serials/periodicals materials. Process mail upon arrival. Perform the daily check-in of periodical materials (serials, newspapers, and microfiche). Update PC's database/s with arrival information for periodicals. Update annual renewals database/s with updated information.
3. Assist with the processing of monographs and other library materials. Perform copy cataloging tasks, examine bibliographic records in database records, and create circulation/item records for newly acquired titles. Assist as needed with the labeling and final processing of volumes.
4. Assist with acquisitions tasks. Duties include but are not limited to searching the HELIN database for ownership data of newly acquired titles and gifts.
1. Answer phones, greet and direct patrons to appropriate areas or persons; sort, open and distribute individual or departmental incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail.
2. Perform all other duties as may be required.
Education and Experience Required
• High School diploma required. Associate's Degree from an accredited college preferred.
• Previous library experience preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with word processing, spreadsheet management, and other Microsoft Office and computer software.
• Experience searching and editing databases.
• Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
• Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
• Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard
• Communication skills using the spoken word
• Ability to see within normal parameters
• Ability to hear within normal range
• Ability to move about
Employee Status Part-Time/Full Year
Union Status Non-Union
If other, please enter regular schedule.
Schedule variable based on a Mon.-Fri. 7:45 - 11:45 schedule
Posting Detail Information
Requisition Number AS104P
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Providence College's Phillips Memorial Library welcomes applications from individuals interested in a career in technology-rich information services and academic teaching, learning and research.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- What are your current salary requirements?
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you hear about this position? If a website, please list the site.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Media File
- Optional Document