Assist with the upkeep of the physical plant of The Morton Arboretum, which includes HVAC, plumbing, potable water, sprinkler, pumping stations, and electrical systems.
- Maintain heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, and kitchen equipment located in Arboretum buildings.
- Install and maintain plumbing systems, piping, and underground pumping stations, and when required, setup temporary plumbing for special events.
- Maintain irrigation wells, potable water, and sprinkler systems.
- Perform a schedule for preventative maintenance and inspection of plant equipment.
- Locate Arboretum underground utilities for internal and external needs.
- Coordinate setup of electrical requirements for special events.
- Keep an inventory of parts, plumbing supplies, controls of equipment, etc.
- Perform basic electrical system and lighting repairs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree in HVAC and certification of refrigerant recovery required. 2+ years of practical experience in building maintenance: heating, plumbing, electrical, ventilating and pumping equipment. In lieu of the Associate’s degree, 4+ years demonstrated work experience in building maintenance as outlined above. Building Operator’s certification preferred, or ability to receive within the first year. Basic understanding of waterline maintenance, and construction required. Ability to work from blueprints, drawing layouts, or other specifications in order to locate and diagnose problems in mechanical systems or equipment required. Familiarity with a variety of hand-tools, measuring devices, and testing instruments required. Must possess a valid driver’s license, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report. Basic computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience with Gmail and other Google applications beneficial. May have exposure to blood borne pathogens as a result of job duties. Optional vaccination (Hepatitis B vaccine) will be made available.
Ability to produce high quality workmanship and be flexible, self-motivated, neat, and safety-conscious in use of tools. Good communication skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires significant amount of physical activity: some lifting and carrying (up to 75 lbs.), bending, climbing (up to 16 ft.), pushing, pulling, standing, walking, kneeling, and traveling by vehicles. Sense of vision, hearing and smell in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
- Work Environment: Work is performed in a combined indoor and outdoor setting.
- Equipment: General HVAC equipment, plumbing tools, hand and power tools, test instruments, locating equipment, ladders, lift truck, Arboretum van and truck, two-way radio, general office equipment.
- Schedule: May require some evening and weekend work. Must be willing to respond to emergency situations involving building maintenance equipment.
To apply, visit http://mortonarb.org/employment.
The Morton Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse workforce.