Description Housekeeping Assistant - University Of Chicago Medical Center
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland's Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers into companies. These employers are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland's Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is free for job seekers. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills' Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. As you move through the hiring process, Skills is your advocate with the hiring company. Hiring Company
The University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences, one of the nation's leading academic medical institutions, has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927, when it first opened to patients. Today, it comprises the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, a top 10 medical school in the country; the University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division, a section committed to scientific discovery; and the University of Chicago Medical Center, consistently ranked among the best hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Twelve Nobel Prize winners in physiology or medicine have been affiliated with the University of Chicago Medicine.
University of Chicago Medicine physicians are members of the University of Chicago Physicians Group, which includes more than 700 physicians and covers the full array of medical and surgical specialties. Our physicians are faculty members of the Pritzker School of Medicine.The University of Chicago Medicine has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927, when we opened our doors to the first patients. Located in historic Hyde Park on the South Side of Chicago, the medical campus includes the Center for Care and Discovery, Comer Children's Hospital, Bernard A. Mitchell Hospital for adult inpatient care, Chicago Lying-in Hospital, and the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine. .
5841 S. Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60637, in Chicago's historic Hyde Park neighborhood. Job Summary
The Housekeeping Assistant III, under the direction of the Manager or his/her designee, performs duties related to custodial care and maintenance of facilities and equipment in designated areas of the hospital. Housekeeping Assistants work various shifts for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. There are typically 7-8 Housekeeping Assistants per floor during the day, with a smaller staff on the weekends. For in-patient rooms, they are responsible for cleaning 12 patient rooms per day, with an average of 48 minutes per room Essential Job Functions
- ROUTINE CLEANING DUTIES: While moving between rooms or work areas, Housekeepers will simultaneously push or pull a cart with garbage containers (6lbs of p/p force with a 30" handle), and pulls or pushes a cleaning cart (two types, one requiring 9lbs p/p force, 42" handle, and the other requiring 15lbs of p/p force with handle at 36").
- CLEANS, VACUUMS, DUSTS: Perform 10 step general cleaning procedures
- CLEANS HIGH TOUCH SURFACES: Areas to be wiped down include, but are not limited to doorknobs, light switches, electrical outlets, faucets and sinks.
- RESTOCK SUPPLIES: Restock paper and plastic supplies (toilet paper, paper towels, etc.) and soap in restrooms.
- CLEANS PATIENT CARE ITEMS: Clean patient items as requested including, but not limited to IV poles, IV pumps, and blood pressure cuffs.
- CLEANS REFRIGERATORS: Cleans inside and outside of refrigerators and ice machines.
- TRASH DISPOSAL: Trash is collected two times per shift in patient rooms and common areas.
- CURTAINS/BLINDS: Removes soiled cubicle curtains, blinds, etc. and hangs new ones.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years of housekeeping, environmental services, janitorial
- Exceptional customer service and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and adapt quickly to different environments/departments
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to lift 50lbs, bend to floor and reach above head to perform duties requiring continuous physical effort
- Ability to complete assigned tasks without direct supervision.
- Starts as on-call employment , after 90 days UCMC will evaluate performance / attendance and determine converting to full-time permanent employment. Hours will normally range between 25 to 40
- Shifts: 1st: 7am - 3pm, 2nd: 3pm - 11pm, 3rd: 11pm - 7am ( must be open to work two shifts, once assigned you'll be given a steady, consistent schedule.)
- Eligible for full benefits package once converted FT and permanent
- Open to a background check & drug test